Potato soup is like comfort food to me. It is one of those foods that just feels homey on a chilly winter night. I have tweaked this recipe, changed things, added cauliflower, and now have a delicious soup that always turns out great.
My kids love it. My son actually asks me to make this quite often. I don’t think they know there is cauliflower in there either. Don’t tell them. And it is so easy. I love it when I can put something in the Crock Pot in the morning and forget about it!
I need to give you a little warning. My recipe isn’t very specific. I tried to be as clear as I could, but I never measure, and it is always a bit different, but always good. So take the recipe and make it your own. 😉
- 5 lbs Potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 bag frozen Cauliflower (or 1/2 head of fresh cauliflower cut up)
- 1 Onion
- 1 carton of Chicken Broth (or add bouillon to water)
- Water – enough to just cover the potatoes
- Salt and Pepper
Put in Crock Pot on low for 8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours. Just before adding the remaining ingredients, mash the potatoes to desired consistency. (We like ours pretty smooth so I use an electric hand mixer).
Just before serving add:
- 1/2 – 1 cup Milk
- 1 cup (or more) sharp cheddar cheese grated
- A couple heaping spoons (or more) of sour cream
- Freshly ground pepper
- Rosemary (My favorite spice in this soup, but you could use whatever you like best!)
Mix until cheese is melted and serve.
Optional toppings: grated cheese, bacon, chives, etc.
Serve this up with some warm, fluffy biscuits to make an easy, delicious dinner.
Invite someone over to share it with you and it will be even more satisfying!
Linking up to Tasty Tuesday.