Okay, so it has been almost two weeks since I did my yearly purge of my own closet, and I am just now getting a post written about it. Maybe some of you have not done it yet and will find this post helpful!
I make it a practice of going through my closet and touching every single item at least once a year. It really isn’t all that difficult for me now, because this is what I own. Except for a rubbermaid of maternity clothes, this is everything. We don’t even have a dresser! Now, before you think I am absolutely crazy, I do know that this is on the low side. But I have gained/lost 50 pounds due to pregnancy and nursing three different times in the last four years. Most things were stretched and worn beyond wearable condition. I am slowly and intentionally rebuilding my wardrobe with clothes I truly like wearing. So now that you see what I own, let’s move on!
Tips for going through your wardrobe.
- Have a box for throw-away and a box for donations.
- Every item gets touched and immediately gets placed in throw, donate, keep, or not sure piles. Try to limit the “not sure” items if at all possible, but we’ll deal with those later.
- If it is ripped, torn, or stained, throw it. If you haven’t taken the time to fix it, you are not going to. And, please, please, please do not donate items that are not in a condition that you would wear (my pet peeve at thrift stores).
- If it doesn’t fit, is not a good color for you, the style does not fit your body shape, or you just don’t “feel good” in it, put it in the donate pile.
- If you have not worn it in over a year, donate or throw it based on the condition. If you have been waiting for something to grow on you, enough is enough. Obviously, it hasn’t, so just get rid of it. It is taking useful space in your closet.
- Now tackle the “not sure” items. Try them on in front of a full-length mirror. I read once the tip of taking a picture of yourself in the mirror and then looking at the picture. Sometimes it is easier to be more objective when seeing it through the camera lens. Make a decision. Don’t leave it in the unsure pile.
- Thoughtfully put each item back in your closet and take note of any needed items you might need. Make a list so that you have it on hand next time you are shopping.
- Now go back to that donate pile and take a look. This is often overlooked, but something I have found very helpful. Do you notice a common thread in the things you gave away because you didn’t wear them? Is it a color, a particular style, or a particular brand? If you notice that you donated everything pink in your closet, chances are you have noticed that pink doesn’t look good on you. Take note of that, so that next time you are shopping and you spot something pink that looks cute on the hanger, you will walk right by it with confidence, knowing it is not your color. The same goes for styles or brands that don’t seem to work well on you.
- What about those items that were in the “not sure” pile that you decided to keep? Put it on your calendar to wear them in the next two weeks. No, seriously. If you don’t intentionally wear them, you will just keep going back to the old standbys and next year you will be wondering about them again. So plan to wear them right away.
Do you know that most people only wear 20% of their wardrobes and the other 80% is just taking space? If it is in your closet, make sure it is because you love it, you wear it, and you feel good in it. Otherwise, give yourself some extra space and get rid of it!
What are your best tips for purging the closet?
No related posts.